Menu

Monday, February 26, 2018

MY TRIBUTE TO SELARON - AN ARTIST AND A FRIEND

Jorge Selaron gave us a wonderful legacy...The Stairs of Selaron... an endless collection of tiles from every corner of this World that people simply gave to him so the stairs could be more and more ornated. 

After facing lots of problems during his life in Chile, he chose Brazil to stay and without even imagining how famous is stairs became, he changed the whole life of our bohemian neighborhood called Lapa.


This Monday I took my Australian friends Lisa, Ken and their daughter Kate to see the stairs and I felt a tight sensation in my chest. Selaron was a good friend of mine and a real reference that I had in my whole career as a guide, and he admired me as well because we have a common passion: RIO DE JANEIRO. 


Selaron died which reason we will never know and I am still here to preserve his legacy, it was so nice to take my guests to talk with him and hear jokes and his not so humble conclusions about his work. He loved to compare himself with Michelangelo.


It is a place that you must visit when you come to Rio, in Portuguese we call it: ESCADARIA SELARON, located right between two historical places, Santa Teresa and Lapa. We all loved Selaron, and with this love and energy we should take care of his legacy even more.

Contact me, and you will see much more of Rio and its secret, the city will be your home. 

Rafael Torres Lopes
Tour Guide and Travel Planner

Email: brazilrafario@gmail.com

No comments: